Saturday, August 9, 2008

Memories of Roger Newton



Some thoughts on the Czar:

I had known Roger for many years casually as a fellow hydro fan and member of the museum. It was only since I have had the privilege of racing the Hawaii Ka'i III in ERCU that we became closer friends and I was able to confirm what I already knew about him - that he was a caring person and a hydroplane fan to the core of his being.

He was important to our sport on so many levels and in many facets and his loss is too great to even begin to measure. For many, many years Roger and his wife Marti had been synonymous with Hawaii Ka'i III in 1/8 scale and 1/10 scale R/C racing but more recently in the 1/6 scale class. He supervised the conversion of the "Quasi-Ka'i" replica that has represented the Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum so well since 1991. I saw that big 1/6 scale "Pink Lady" run in a test on Waughop Lake in March. She did a Slo-Mo V-style 360 blowover and kept right on going. That got everyone's attention for sure!
Roger knew of my love for the Ka'i - He always called me "Edgar" - and I was honored when he agreed to sell me the 1/10 scale boat. I told him I would do my best to honor Marti's memory and try to do him proud. I am dedicating the Ka'i's ERCU season to Roger's memory. In this my rookie season as a boat owner he has given me valuable advice and guidance in an effort to constantly make the boat better, and even made some major changes without asking for a cent for the considerable work that went into those changes. When he wouldn't let me pay him anything he said he just wanted to see me have a great time and for the boat and our great driver Craig Mullen to do well.

Czar, thanks for your friendship, advice, and caring. I will miss you greatly. My deepest sympathies go out to David, Debbie, and to all the Newton family.

Respectfully,
Ben Keller

P.S. - the attached photos were taken at the launch of the boat on March 1, 2008 at Waughop Lake in Lakewood.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ben, for sharing your comments and thoughts. If any other member of ERCU, RCU, UNW, CT, or any of the other clubs or hydroplane racing organizations would like to share memories or thoughts, please feel free to comment on the blog, or if you'd like to include photos, like Ben did, please email your comments to me.

-Nelson